Sloths and Turtles
Right on a beautiful beach on the mid Pacific Ocean, you can take part in the vital conservation of some of the country's most vulnerable wildlife. Help us to protect the most emblematic animal from Costa Rica: sloths!
Your help to care for the many animals with wounds or baby orphans you will find during monitoring. We rescue and provide first aid to take them to the rescue center located a few km from our camp, giving these creatures another chance at life. All procedures are carried out with a professional in biology who carries all the monitoring information, which helps us act in favor of these beautiful animals. You will learn a lot about them, as well as about many other animals around our beautiful beach, while we help preserve its kind.
In this project you will also work with turtles - your schedule with sloths and turtles will depend on actual needs. See this project: Central Pacific - Mata Palo.
During this time you will live directly in the camps under very basic conditions, sometimes without water and electricity. Your food - breakfast, lunch, dinner - will be prepared in the camp and consists of the typical costarican cuisine: rice, beans, vegetables, meat and fruit.
Your work includes
- Help caring for animals
- Data collection in contact with our biologist who will train you in field work
- You will monitor the two species of sloths and associated species
- Help in all the recovery processes of the species that are rescued
- Cleaning and repairs of the facility
- Work with turtles
Things to bring
- Love for animals and nature
- Being willing to learn, with a good attitude and desire to help
- Being prepared for sometimes physically demanding work (a typical day starts at 5:00 am with morning monitoring; breakfast at 8:30 am; 12:00 md lunch time; 1:00 pm we go to our next monitoring until 3:00 pm at 6:00 pm dinner time, the next monitoring at 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm)
- Ability to integrate and adapt to the center's rules
- To be older than 18 years
- Medical insurance valid in Costa Rica; bring a copy
- Minimum stay 2 weeks
The program runs throughout the year
On the pacific coast between Quepos and Dominical.