Your stay can be planned very individually - considering the minimum stays. It is also possible to work in different projects during one stay.
Advice: It is NOT possible to change projects once you are in Costa Rica. Also, it is NOT possible to get the money back if you leave the project earlier because you don't like it.
Why do I have to pay for volunteer work? See end of this page!
The prices are valid for 2020.
The prices include:
- information material for preparing your stay
- organization of your arrival pickup from the airport in San José and transport to the project - you have to pay the transport fees that depend on your choosen project - between 15 - 70 US$
- Spanish classes (if choosen) including material
- homestay with guest families or in the project including breakfast, lunch and dinner
- school projects:
- onsite coordination and emergency support during your stay
- orientation in your working area, family and school
- volunteer office with wlan
- nature projects:
- onsite coordination by staff of the nature organisation
- certificate for your voluntary work
Not included in the prices are:
- airport tax $29 (2014)
- hotel night in San José (depending on your arrival)
- excursion costs, transportation, entrance fees...
- personal expenses
Why doI have to pay for volunteer work?
first hand is a small, private, Costarican organization and recieves neither government funds nor financial support from private sponsors.
The projects and the families are unable to support the volunteer financially or give free lodging and food - the weekly costs go almost entirely to the families/projects.
The first hand staff also need to be paid for their work to make a living (if not, first hand and these volunteer options simply would not exist!): project organization, volunteer coordination and '24/7' support, permanent contact with the projects/schools/families, maintenance of the volunteer office (water, electricity, phone, internet, materials, gas), answering emails, mail contact with volunteers etc.
If you find an organization that can support your stay - that's great! But there are thousands of other needy projects (schools etc.) that these few organizations can't help. Our projects, our schools and the children here definitely also need help ... and they are all very thankful if you come!
|Organization fee (one time)||450 $|
|School / Music school per week||190 $|
|Macaw + Wildlife Reserve||210 $|
|Turtles per week|
|- Buena Vista plus 60 $ one time fee||210 $|
|- Montezuma plus 60 $ one time fee||210 $|
|- Mata Palo||180 $|
|- Osa||260 $|
|- Caribe A||170 $|
|- Caribe B plus 35 $ one time fee||250 $|
|Rainforest per week||200 $|
|Rescue Center for Animals - one time (selfcatering/selflodging)||350 $|
|Sloth Monitoring per week||180 $|
|Ecofarm per week||210 $|
|National Parks per week||250 $|
|13 % value added tax included|
|Turtle camp||2 weeks|
|Rescue + Reforestation||2 weeks|
|Rescue Center for animals||4 weeks|
|National Parks||4 weeks|
|(Mon-Fri 2 h)|
|1 week||160 $||190 $||350 $|
|2 weeks||295 $||380 $||675 $|
|3 weeks||410 $||570 $||980 $|
|4 weeks||520 $||760 $||1280 $|
|(Mon-Fro 4 h)|
|Sámara / week||335 $||189 $||524 $|
|Heredia / week||295 $||189 $||484 $|