Teaching in Schools
If you are interested in working with children and giving classes en English, sports, arts or other subjects, you're in demand in the local schools. In most of the 'escuelas' in this area the children only have lessons in Spanish, Math, Social Science and Natural Science due to the lack of teachers and financial resources. Your classes will be in the afternoons after the regular classes and they are free for the children.
English especially is getting more and more important for Costaricans to provide better opportunities in the expanding tourism market, wich is the main income sector in this country. Therefor especially the parents are very interested in English classes. Additional subjects that stimulates their creativity and develop their individuality are important for an adequate education and are very popular for the children. Your volunteering in teaching assistance and your efforts in creating new material will be very much appreciated!
You will be living with a family in the village and you will have your own room (maybe shared with another volunteer). You'll enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner with the family based on the tipical Costarican diet, for example rice, beans, vegetables, meat and fruit.
Your work includes
- English, sports, games, art and craft or other subjects
- 2-4 hours of work with the children in the mornings, the afternoon or both
- in some schools: joining and helping the teacher in the morning classes; administrative work in the school
- cleaning the facilities you use in the school and the volunteer office; maintainance of the material collection and preparing new material
- preparing school events like sport activities, presentations, exhibitions, beach cleanings
- help in the recycle project and in community service: beautifying projects, gardening, making playgrounds, painting etc. according to the actual needs of the community
Furthermore we expect from the volunteers to be active and motivated by themselves, to offer language classes for adults and bring their own ideas for the community progress.
Things to bring
- creativity and talent for improvisation as even the most basic resources are often limited and require to use your imagination
- enjoying to work independently and self-motivated
- fun and responsability to work with children (6-12 years)
- if possible, all kind of didactic material (books, games, music...)
- elementary knowledge of spanish; there is the possibility to book spanish classes with first hand
- clothes for a decent dress code (no tank tops and shorts in class)
- middle of December until beginning of February
- Easter week
- 1st of May Labour Day
- first two weeks of July
- 25th of July Día de la Annexión de Guanacaste
- 15th of September Independence Day
Between Christmas and New Year the school is closed.
During the school holidays there will be holiday programs for the children!
The schools are located on the northwest pacific coast of Costa Rica in Guanacaste between Sámara and Nosara.